Pages

02 October 2009

Show us your life: Baby Edition

On Kelly's Korner she does a weekly "Show Us Your Life" this week's edition: Baby gear.

Top things I couldn't not have survived without! (in no particular order)

1. Swing. Oh, how this saved my life!!!! I remember thinking I didn't want or need one when registering...but thought if someone got it for me great if not no biggie. I am so thankful my mom and sister got this for me! It was the ONLY way Leighton would sleep for nap time during the 1st four months (had to stop using it then b/c she kept wanting to sit up and get out!) We wanted one for every room just b/c we got tired of lugging it up and down the stairs when she was a newborn. At night she would sometimes sleep in it as our make shift cradle.

2. Cuddle sack. I don't think they sell these anymore :( mine is from my baby days. Seriously Leighton LOVED it...again re-created the warm womb like environment...helped my colicky baby sleep, well, like a baby! It also had a heartbeat simulator but that didn't work anymore :(

3. All in one carseat travel system. I felt like this was the cheapest way to go instead of buying all the different parts...can save you close to $50-$100. Plus, the one we got is supposedly one of the safest. According to Baby Bargins (another must have when shopping...really gives you the nitty gritty on baby stuff...kind of like this post!)

4. Baby 411. My dad got this for me and I refer to it all the time for what ever crazy thing I think may be going on with my baby! It tells it to you in plain language and eases your fears.

5. Sheet/changing table savers. A MUST unless you like changing dirty sheets in the middle of the night! ;)


6. Medela Breast pump. Great for nursing moms who want to pump "painlessly" and quickly. I know there are a lot of pumps out there that can hurt...I honestly didn't mind pumping using this. It also had a backpack w/ it so you could discreetly take it with you.
Nursing tanks
could not survive without this item...I practically live in them! They keep you covered in all the right places while you nurse!

7. Bouncy Seat. Again something I didn't think I needed/wanted but so glad I received as a gift! Now Leighton did NOT like this at first. But once she got to be about 2 months it saved our backs from hauling the swing up and down the stairs. We just left the bouncy seat up and the swing down. Both kept her fairly happy depending on what level I was on. (Please note: My daughter was extremely colicky...so very little made her happy!)

8. The womb aka the sling. Now while this felt like a bit of a waste of $15 (only b/c I didn't use it like I should have and she out grew it fast) it really helped keep my colicky only wants to be held 24/7 baby calm and happy, while I got stuff done. If you could only get one I would probably recommend going w/ the baby bjorn style just b/c it grows with your baby longer.

9. Barenaked Boppy Pillow (this way you can change out boppy covers for different babies or if they get dirty). Now this is a great investment for nursing moms. I didn't really like it at first because baby girl was so tiny she just slid through the hole. But as she filled it out more it became nice to help hold her while she nursed and I typed on the laptop! HA! My hubby also liked to put it around his waist to hold her...not sure why?!? She also sleep in the boppy while we were at the hospital in bed w/us (we had a family bed)...and yes I know it says not for sleeping but we did it anyway! Also great for babies learning to sit...helps catch them when the topple over.
See daddy's love it too!

10. Bath seat. My kitchen sink isn't big enough to give my baby a bath. Plus, I just think a bath place should be not where I throw dirty dishes. This grew with her until she could sit up on her own and take a bath.

11. Play mat. Babies just love these and I just put ours away like 2 days ago and just went with the toys strewn about the floor look! HA! (Leighton will be 8 months on Tues.)

Lo at about 7 weeks

Lo at 5 months

12. Shopping cart cover. I am not a germaphobe, but when you see how much your little one wants to put in their mouth you will want to get one! Plus they are soft and cozy for baby to sit on instead of the cold metal hard shopping carts. They also covert to a high chair cover which again is nice.

13. Exersaucer/walker. Leighton has loved her exersaucer she plays in and out of it. It helps give them a safe place to be while you work. Ours also converts into a walker once she starts walking...so I think that is a bonus but since she isn't quite walking yet I do not know.

Trying to show how it comes apart to turn into a walker.

14. Bumbo. I liked it helped her be near me and sit up. She didn't use it long b/c I had forgotten about it and then within the next month she started sitting on her own. But it use to keep her contained while I worked. (until she would try and throw herself out of it!)

See these things can go anywhere!


15. Space saver convertable high chair. As you can see I love stuff that duels...it saves tons of money and SPACE! This easily straps to your dining room chair, you can take it w/ your to grandma's for the holidays. AND it goes from newborn all the way up to toddler!


Things I could have survived without (but nice to have):

Pack n Play. Alot of new mom's use this as their bassinet in their rooms. Are room was too small for it. And I ended up using the swing for nap times. I think it will come in handy for traveling or going over to grandma's and giving her a safe place for naps...but overall I can probably survive with out it.

Jumpin' Johnny. Leighton never really got into it. I tried countless times with no success.

My number 1 advice is this: ALOT of my stuff I got 2nd hand or borrowed! I TOTALLY recommend this if you can find friends to let you try some of this expensive stuff out before you buy. So often (ok ALL THE TIME) what works for one baby doesn't work for yours...or what you think you can't live without you can! I feel totally blessed to be surrounded by such generous ppl who have graciously let me borrow toys, equipment and clothes! THANK YOU!

And if you are a mom out there out of the baby days stage...think about offering some of your stuff to women you may know that are about to have babies or just had them! It will bless them tremendously!

2 comments:

  1. Great list. I definatly need the baby 411. I am always worrying over silly things and googling just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great things and I have every one of them!! I also love the What to Expect the First Year and I love to use Diapers.com. Diapers show up the very next day, and you can buy large cases that our Wal-Mart does not carry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...