Pages

18 December 2008

The 3 hour GTT from down below

The 3 hour is the worst thing a pregnant momma can experience. First they make you fast. Hello?! I am pregnant and starving. Then they make you drink a doubly rich, syrupy, lemon-lime nastiness in like 2 minutes. GROSS. I mean I thought the orange stuff at half strength tasted disgusting. After I drank the disgustiness, the lab tech told me I had to go downstairs to the OB lobby and hang out for an hour, you know just in case something would happen to me the RNs and docs were right there. How thoughtful. I had no idea what to expect. I brought along my Twilight book and some magazines to kill 3 hours with, only problem was that about 15 minutes into my wait I was feeling very woozy. My head started spinning, I felt like I was going to pass out, the this wave of nausea struck me and I thought I was going to puke all over the waiting room. I rush to the bathroom. {Side bar: Now I am not one that pukes, ever. Even with all the "progesterone poisoning" I had in the early months I never lost my breakfast once. } It is at this moment I lean over and think about up chucking all the disgusting syrup in my belly, but then I stop and summon all my strength to keep it down. I thought I will be darn if I have to do this again! Get it together Michele. Do.NOT.Puke! I walk back out to the waiting room and curl up in my chair, close my eyes and wait for the hour from hell to be over.

Once I head back upstairs I enter the lab room, she sees I am sheet white. I am tough and I keep it together. Must not show weakness. She stabs my arm gets her vial full and then asks "Honey, how are feeling?!" Crap, if I answer I will lose it. I lost it. I broke down in sobs, saying I feel horrible, I can't do this... Bless that tech's heart. She felt terrible for me. She called downstairs and got me an exam room for hour two to lay down in. I spent all of hour two resting in that dark, empty exam room, just praying for this to be over. By the end of hour two I felt slightly better. The world was no longer whizzing by me and the intense desire to puke went down to a 3 from an 11 on a scale of 1-10. I am summoned back upstairs to be stabbed again. They thoughtfully rotated arms, of course, not sure what arm she thinks she is using in hour 3! HA!

The tech asked if I was doing better. I said yes. She said just one more hour to go hon. I went back out to the lobby and thumbed through my magazine. An hour later I gave my final vial of blood and was sent on my merry way. I better freakin' pass that test is all I can say. Holy cow. I pray I NEVER have to go through that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...