Pages

24 January 2010

The power of sign language

Some of you may have read in my monthly update that Leighton is starting to sign. This is something I always wanted to do with my child from the beginning, but like everything it sounded good in theory but actually carrying it out was a whole other thing. I hit and missed with it since she was about 6 months, but then I read this post from New Mama's Corner and it inspired me to get more consistent.
I started out with "more" and "all done" because she was always screaming at the dinner table. After maybe 3 weeks she was doing it. So I have since added "eat" and "milk", which she now knows after only showing her a few times. I use other sign language (play, sleep, yes, no, thank-you, hungry, and good) but she only seems to care about the eating ones...hmmm. I am less consistent on those, so that is probably the problem...yes, I am sure that is the problem. :)

My point, it has cut down on lots of tears and frustration, for both of us really and it is easy to learn. I googled baby sign language to learn some of them, but most of them I knew from somewhere. I think once upon a time I was big into learning sign language.

Here is a clip of Lo in action. I apologize that it is hard to see, poor lighting and a baby who didn't want to be a performing monkey :)


Please note: "More"--putting both hands together in touching motion.
"Milk"--is an open and close of one hand like you are milking a cow.

"All done" is a waving of both of your hands.
My descriptions here are stellar, I know, I am more of a show you girl than an explain it girl. So I beg you to go to the listed websites to really get a good idea.


Here are some sites I found useful if you are interested:
Baby Sign Language
ASL

Bottom line, it is never too late to start with your baby. I am truly amazed at how fast Leighton is picking up on all of this daily. She understands what I am saying to her and I am about 97% sure she is happy she can tell me what she wants!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm definitely going to do this with my baby! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a pediatrician and signing with a "normal" baby is going to interrupt the natural flow of words, sounds, ga-ga's. You are breaking the pattern which the child is developing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,
    I appreciate your concern and I will be asking my pediatrician about it as well as independently researching this topic. However, if you read this what sources are you basing this on...I have not heard anyone having a speech delay. Also, my daughter does babble and say ba, da and mmm often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...