Pages

19 December 2011

Christmas Traditions

I love creating traditions or memories with our kids especially during the Christmas season. Thanks once again to pinterest I am not disappointing. HA! {of course I am not doing too great at getting pics of some of these traditions. :( oh how my scrapbook will suffer. HA!}

Laying under the tree. {no pic :( } but even Micah participated willingly!

Making cookies with Lo. She is surprisingly very helpful and fun during this process. Probably helps she has been cooking with me since she was 6 months old. :)


Operation Christmas Child and Project Generosity {something our church is doing to help out our local pregnancy crisis center} is a great way to show generosity to those who really need things this season rather than focusing on the "me" mentality.

Christmas craft. I am not cool or fun like a lot of moms and do crafts daily or even monthly, but every so often I can pull one out that ligths up my daughter's day. We made salt dough ornaments {thank you pinterest} and painted them.

Look at that chubby foot. Just wanted to prove MW gets to play too! :)
The tree is my "thumbprint" ornament that didn't turn out so great...oh well. You win some and lose a lot copying pinterest ideas. At least in my case. :)
This pretty much sums up 90% of my pinterest endeavors. HA!


Jesse Tree. I have been looking for a way to really incorporate Jesus more into Christmas in effort to help Lo understand the true meaning of Christmas. This idea is fantastic, but in our case the stories are too above her head and I am not skilled enough to make them 2 year old friendly/understandable. I keep searching for a pre-k level for the Jesse Tree but coming up empty handed. Suggestions???

However, she likes to color the picture ornaments and we hang them on her tree and just keep talking about Jesus' birthday and that he was born to save us. Sometimes I worry she doesn't get the true meaning of Christmas, but then I have to stop and say "she is 2.5, stop stressing! She goes to church, she is growing up in a Christian home/family, and she does know Jesus loves her at least abstractly. That is all she needs right now, as she grows she will understand more and more. There are many more years to do the Jesse Tree!"


Christmas picture. The "good" ones. HA!


Then of course there will be our Christmas Eve service.

I love this time of year now that I have kids to do things with. What traditions are you starting?

From our home to yours Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. so fun!! Wish we could do the sugar cookies together with the girl, mom and meg like we always did:) I loved your salt dough ornaments--I hate perfection I want it just as my kids would do it--that is more special!
    I also LOVED your christmas tree about Jesus idea! So cool:)
    You still get me every time with that cookie monster cupcake pic--that is so us too!
    BTW those kids at the end of your post--can I have them?? They are just too precious and kissable--I cannot wait to see them ( and you too of course) wow I miss them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take hope Michelle. We did the Jesse tree last year when Hud was almost 3 and I felt the same way. Surprisingly, he gets it a lot more this year. I think you are laying a great foundation that will soak in eventually. I'm surprised how much last year helps with this year.
    I too have tons of bad pintrest outcomes. I sprayed my salt dough ornaments with finishing gloss spray and it made a big difference to me. Just another idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...