Pages

05 May 2013

The Day We Pray For {Jesus Birthday}

There are so many hopes and dreams we have for our kids; but there is only one thing that truly matters and that is my children coming to know Jesus. That's it. I don't care how smart they are or how much money the make or how many medals they win in sports, I just need and desire them to know, love and accept Jesus into their lives.

Leighton is 4. She is young, but that doesn't deter her heart from knowing and understanding who Jesus is to her and to our family. She has been in church her whole life. And not just any church, quite possibly the best church I have ever experienced. The way they show Jesus' love to our kids is astounding. They teach them from the moment they enter Baby Bay that Jesus wants to be there best friend and that theme continues all the way through High School. Shoot it continues now in even in adult church.

Ashamedly so, we aren't super spiritual parents. We haven't always sat down to pray with her and for her. We don't always read Bible stories to her and quote Bible verses in any situation--we are getting better, but we aren't perfect. Not that those things make you a Christian. It's the relationship with Jesus that does.


However, in spite of us she seeks Jesus. And honestly I have our church to thank for that. When I was growing up in church, I will be honest, I was NOT a fan. It was boring and I felt like there were so many rules to follow not to mention the way other "christians" made me feel. At our home church it is a complete 180*. My kids cry if they can't go to church. Cry people, full on threat level orange CRY! I don't think I ever did that. I am amazed at the verses she comes home quoting and how her heart seeks to serve.

These are all the building blocks.

I have been talking with Lo for quite sometime about Jesus and asking Him into her heart. Not to push her into anything, but just answering her natural questions. I am always met with "well, maybe tomorrow mommy." Which I was fine with, if she isn't ready then that is okay.


However, this past Sunday {April 28, 2013} I logged on to our live stream to watch a friend sing, since I had missed it Saturday. It was also baptism Sunday. Lo was sitting on my lap watching and I explained to her the how, whats, and whys of baptism. I explained that before baptism you have to ask Jesus to live in your heart, that you have to acknowledge what HE did for you on the cross.
"Well, mommy me and poodle already did that..."
"You did?! When was this?!"
"Oh the other day at naptime."
"Really, well mommy and daddy would love to pray with you again if that would be okay?! Do you want us to pray with you and ask Jesus into your heart?!"
"Yes!"
"Okay let's go get daddy..."
We all talked and I made her explain to me what sin was in 4 year old land and asked her what Jesus did for her. She answered everything very well in 4 year old speak and understanding. We then said this had to be her prayer, we would lead it, but she had to say it.
We prayed and rejoiced.



It is a very humbling moment to see your child ask Jesus into their lives. I remember my moment vividly. While she is young and may not know "everything" there is about her decision, it only boils down to a belief of what Jesus did and why. Kids understand this so much easier than adults. I love hearing her say now "I don't lie because I have Jesus in my heart!"

Our continued prayer is that she will continue to grow and bloom in her faith and love for Jesus and others!

We celebrated her Jesus birthday with some cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! May she grow to be a mighty warrior for Christ! Jesus loves you so much!
    Love, Grandma Rachel <><

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...