Pages

20 February 2014

DIY Tent

MW and Lo got tents for their rooms. I know such a great and fun mommy. ;)

Actually Lo got a canopy and MW the tent--because that is more manly!

I am not going to take credit for the idea, because let's face it I am just not that creative, Lo on the other hand is terribly brilliant, me not so much.

However, these are not exactly rocket science.

Lo's canopy consisted of a large embroidery hoop {just the outer ring}, but you could use a small hula hoop, or a even larger embroidery hoop. I get mine at goodwill. :) This all depends on how big you want the canopy. We were working with a smallish corner so this size worked, plus it was what I had on hand.


2. Depending on your budget and or sewing access or ability you can get sheer curtain panels for $7ish dollars a piece. You will need 2-4 depending on the size of the hoop. You want it bunchy and flowy. I have this really tight wallet and a mommy who "loves to sew for her favorite daughter!" Thanks mom! Kisses!! So I just bought 3yds??? {I actually don't remember maybe it was 4?!?!} of fine tulle fabric.
The point is this: Measure from the hoop to the floor and add 1/2- 1 inch for a seam allowance and maybe another 1-1.5 inches to puddle on the floor. Then multiply it by at least 3 panels for fabric.





3. Sew a rod pocket  for the hoop to slip through. Now if you have a hula hoop, you will have to cut it apart to get the hoop in the pocket {then just tape it back or glue it. You are going to want to hide the hoop with ribbon or something anyway.} With the embroidery hoop you just unscrew it and screw it back together.

4. put on your "curtains." and viola done.


5. Well maybe not done you can add a ribbon to the top like I did to cover up the hoop and the LED lights that  I weaved around the top. NOTE: YOU MUST USE LED LIGHTS. They doNOT get hot and they won't start your fabric/tulle/curtains on FIRE!!! SAY IT WITH ME LED lights ONLY!! Yes they are a bit more, but your house and kid are worth it! :) END PSA.

6. Pile pillows and books in for a fun reading corner. and it makes a nice "night light" for kids who insist on having them. :) Although I wish I would have gone with the warm tone of lights vs. the cool tone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Manly Tent.

Well as predicted MW wanted one too!  And while I am okay with him doing some "girly" things. This just wasn't the look I was going for in his room.

Enter A- Frame tent.

1. Enlist daddy to take you to Home Depot/Lowes or Menards.

2. Buy 4--4x2x1 inch boards {cost was like 2.25/board}
    Buy a .75 inch dowel rod. I think it was 4 ft long too??!?! {cost $2.25ish}

3. You will need a 3/4 inch spade bit. My Handy Manny doesn't own many tools so we had to buy one and got a really good after Christmas deal on a whole set for like $6.



4. About 2ish inches down {just make sure the are all lined up} one at a time drill the 3/4inch hole with your spader drill. Go slow and be careful as the wood splinter a bit on us.

5. Crisscross 2 of them and insert dowel rod and repeat on the other end of the dowel rod.
We had to cut nearly a foot off our dowel rod as the tent takes up quiet a bit of space. So move the tent to where you want it an judge the length of the dowel rod accordingly. The dowel rod and boards fit snug together so we didn't need glue or rope to keep it together.


6. Now comes mommy's part. Sewing! This was my first ever sewing project.
I know this tutorial isn't fantastic, but everything just depends on what you measure.
Measure from the top of the dowel rod to the base of the tent. x2.
Ex. our tent was around 44 inches top to bottom. SO I needed 89/90 inches of fabric {to account for seam allowance and wiggle room} OR 2.5yds.
I got 2.25 yds in one fabric and .25 yds in the contrasting fabric.
This ended up being a bit to much and probably need to shave of a few inches at the bottom to make it tighter. But like I said this was my first sewing project.


7. If you just have the one fabric. Sew all the raw edges under and add 4-5 inch elastic loops in the corners to hook on to the frame. If you have 2 pieces. Piece it together how you want. I use the .25 yd on top and cut my animal fabric in half and sewed them together and then finished the edges. A big THANKS to my mom again for sitting with me and showing me how to work my new sewing machine and being patient with me while I learned!

the elastic loop for easy on and off.

8. Viola tent is done. Add lights. What kind of lights? LED! Good answer!!

I wrapped the lights around the inside of the tent along the dowel rod and ran them down the legs in "back."

9. Because my tent was a bit too flow-y and not as taunt as I wanted I just added ribbon ties half way up on all 4 boards to make it a bit taunter.


10. Let your little boy camp "out!"







The End.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...