Pages

27 September 2011

Surgery for MW

A few months ago I was under the impression my milk was not so good. Perhaps I was wrong about that. Micah's allergy test came back negative for a dairy allergy. Yay! But I continued on being dairy free because it seemed like it was helping some and maybe he had a lactose issue??!

At the end of August I went in to see my doctor and we ended up talking a lot about Micah. He encouraged me to put Micah back on the meds now that he was older; he thought they may work now. After two weeks the meds were still not working and Micah was spitting up more than ever. More like vomit now, especially since he is taking in more solids. The next plan of action was to go back to the peds gastroenterologist.

At this point Micah weighs 14# at 8 months. He has gained a whole 5 ounces since she saw him 2 months previously in July. She immediately suggested we go in for a scope to see if there was some kind of allergy causing all of this.

Ready for my scope. One of our brief happy moments.

On Thursday, September 22, I took Micah in and handed him off {after a LONG hour wait} to the anesthesiologist and watched my crying baby taken off to be sedated and scoped. It was a 5 minute procedure. Longest 5 minutes ever. Dr. Z came back and said he looked perfectly fine and healthy. He has severe reflux {GERD} and needs a fundoplication surgery. {The last recourse after we have exhausted all other possible fixes}.

Those of you who are keeping up know we talked with a surgeon about a fundo surgery back in May, when he weighed 13# {so in four months time he gain 1 pound. Not good}.

As you can see Micah is the same size as my 3 month old nephew.

So we re-met with the surgeon on Thursday and scheduled Micah to have a fundo in October. Basically part of the tummy is wrapped around the esophagus to tighten it up so his food will stay down. At some point as he grows it will undo itself and hopefully by that point he will have out grown the GERD.

"Surgery! I am so nervous."

This is pretty nerve racking for me. Only because this involves my baby. I keep hoping some miracle will occur {which it can} and he will finally start keeping food down and I can just cancel the sx. I also know I need to wean him because I am fairly certain my supply is failing him, only compounding this problem. Which should be a fun activity, since he is not that keen on a bottle.

"Just kidding, I will be fine mom!"

Regardless of what happens I am just ready to put this phase behind us. I won't miss all that spit up that is for sure. I am also ready for Micah to start growing and being the big boy I know he was meant to be. After all this I predict Micah will end like his cousin Seth and be 6'4" and 200# and we will just have vague memories of his tiny days.


7 comments:

  1. Gulp! Surgery makes me nervous! At least you have answers though.

    And my littlest is 8 months now and is only 13 pounds still...so I know what you mean by tiny.

    Especially since his big brother is 2 and only weighs 19 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how scary it must be to think about your baby boy undergoing surgery. I'm adding sweet Micah to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for little Micah...and Mommy and Daddy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. prayers over Micah. and you all too! Hopefully this will be the answer you have been waiting for and that the Lord will keep your nerves at bay during the procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't want one of my babies to go through surgery either, but this should help him a lot! I know you've been very proactive and have made sacrifices to try to help him keep his food down better. (dairy free? Couldn't do it!) Will be praying! Missed you at MOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,
    Just started keeping up with your blog again after a long time away from mine and yours. We too added a baby boy - mine's 4.5 months! He has pretty bad reflux too and is on Zantac and Prevacaid - but he's gaining weight so there's not much concern - except for my floors and laundry. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as what Micah (and you) are experiencing. I hope his surgery goes well for both of you. So glad I reconnected to your blog.
    Melissa (NewMamasCorner)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...