Pages

29 January 2013

Compassion

I am still recovering from our birthday weekend and still editing and trying to formulate some type of post. I am a little bloggy-ied out. (is that a real word?!)

Anyway, do any of you listen to Way-FM?!
Right now they are doing a push to get kids particularly from Indonesia sponsored for Compassion International. Yeah, it can be a tad annoying to listen to them go on and on. Normally I am annoyed and flip stations, but not this time. Everytime I hear them talk about a child my heart just aches and prays that someone will sponsor that child!

Right before Christmas Chad and I felt very led to sponsor a child.
If I may back up a bit, I honestly have had adoption tugging on my heart strings. Now if you know me, adoption was not something I felt like I could ever do. I support those who do and can, but that just wasn't for us. However, watching a friend from HS go to China to get her baby girl just about did me in. It sort of was my moment of knowing that we actually could do this.

I really struggled with both of my kids when they were babies. There isn't a pretty way to say it; they were HARD infants. The crying that never stopped, the constant need to be bounced and held while standing wore me out. Then during my time in Judgement House an older lady in my scene told me she had adopted 2 foster kids. Her son was around 2 when she got him. He was suppose to be adopted by another family, but at the last minute decided he was "too difficult" to deal with, so the sent him back! I am crying just thinking about that. They sent him back like some item you return to Target. This is a child, a person, not an article of clothing. She said when they got him "there was nothing wrong with him and he was NOT difficult."

I couldn't help but think how difficult my kids were. Why did all my friends (so it seemed) get "easy" babies, at least once? And while at times I joked about putting them up for adoption, I could never. They were mine in all their messy glory. To think there are kids out there just wanting someone to love them breaks my heart. Sometimes I think I got "hard" babies for a reason, maybe to prepare me to see past a "difficult" child and see who they really are.

I didn't really tell Chad of my thoughts on adoption because I didn't really feel like it was the time. I just prayed about it by myself instead.

Fast forward a few months to December and out of the clear blue sky Chad says we NEED to sponsor a child. I was shocked. I told him I agreed and while maybe one day I would like to adopt a child, this was a place to start caring about the less fortunate kids out there.

We now sponsor the cutest little girl from Brazil. {I am not sure I should/can post her picture} She and Leighton are just months apart. When I saw her sweet face, she looked just like Leighton and I knew she would be "our girl." I hope and pray our sponsorship will bring her a better life and most importantly her and her family to Jesus.


So I write all this to ask you to prayerfully consider sponsoring a child. It cost hardly anything around $40/month. That is going out to eat one time or cutting out your fancy coffee most mornings. Our kids just got done raking in all the latest and greatest toys for their birthdays and Christmas and quite frankly I am over it. If they never got another toy again it would be too soon. We are really trying to focus on instilling in our kids that stuff doesn't matter and there are "unfortunate" kids out there that are lucky if they have 1 toy their whole childhood. I want to teach our kids to be the hands and feet of Jesus and give back and be grateful for what they have.

GO HERE to check out the list of kids just dying to get a sponsorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...