Pages

10 January 2013

My Great Grandma

Before Christmas I made it a point to go visit my Great Grandmother. It had been so long since we had last seen her. I want my kids to know her and meet her. I know they are young and they may not fully remember her and they will never know her like I do or my mother does, but maybe when they see these pictures memories will flash...

My kids are lucky because the have 4 generations of living mothers {they are the 5th generation}. Not too many people can say they met their great GREAT grandmother. Mine can.

Visiting is hard though.
She lives in an assisted living nearly an hour away from us.
Her mind is fading and communicating in the present is hard. She never remembers my kids' names or that they are mine for longer than a moment. So weird how the mind works, but if you talk of the past she can recall everything.
And it's hard seeing her looking so frail.
Time passes so quickly and we all know that time is no longer on her side.
So I really try a few times a year to go visit and introduce my babies to her, again.
They bring her such incredible joy, she just perked up at the sight of their faces. She loves babies.



I can't help but remember when my littlest sister Meg was born. I was but 8 years old and she came and stayed with us and she was NOT leaving until my mom had Meg. Maybe that was the "birth plan" my mom had or maybe that was just Grandma Adenia--determined to be here to hold that baby!

She taught me Skipbo and we played it for hours, or so it seemed.

I loved how whenever you told her something she would always respond with "honest?" as if I were telling a tall tale. I find myself saying that now.

She was at church every time the doors were open. I remember vividly not being allowed to color in Big people church. I had to sit and listen! It was boring, but she loves Jesus and that legacy is continuing to be passed down from generation to generation.

She always loved to dress up and wear lots of large jewelry and her nails were always painted, still does.

This must be where Lo gets it from and definitely where my mom gets it from! HA! Here she is admiring Lo's glittery shoes!

 

She was always fun and full of life.

MW had a hard time warming up, he has only met her a few times and he was just a babe. But she eventually coaxed him out of his shell. With a kazoo.
 


So it's hard seeing that go. I know I am going to regret not knowing her better, we always think we have tomorrow, but the tomorrows have a way of passing by quickly.

So in this moment I just have to embrace what is and the smiles on everyone's faces as we visit.





My mother with her Grandma and Grandkids.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. Ps. 100:5

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures and sweet story! Those are treasures! That will be a great memory and scrapbook page or two! Love, Rachel <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that picture of her holding Micah's head. Almost made me tear up and I don't even know her! Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was simply awesome, I miss her! Aunt Valeria

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...