Pages

05 December 2013

Deck The Halls {2013}

Confession.
I broke out the Christmas tree before Thanksgiving. ::eeks gasp!::
I know shame shame.
In my defense {do you ever notice that I constantly feel the need to defend myself, I can't just say "yeah, I did that, so there." My husband really appreciates my over explanations for all I do. :) I have a problem, I am getting help. :)}
1. It was just the tree which takes a huge amount of time to do.
2. I had to work on Friday after Thanksgiving. {like I am the only one, but hey it's my excuse. :0 }
3. It is really Thanksgivings fault {I also feel the need to blame someone too, I will throw my kids under the bus if I can pass the buck...I told you I am getting help. :) } because it came so late this year.

Lo was thrilled she nearly died when I pulled the tree box out. She looks forward to this moment all year long. Come July she asks every day when Christmas is coming.

So I thought I would show you how to light your tree. Do you all do this? My mom taught me. She is the original Monica Gellar. She won't let anyone touch her tree. When I was a kid I don't recall ever getting to help or put on ornaments. And if I did then she would re-arrange them. She had a system people. And in her defense {so now I defend others...geez I may need more help!} her tree always looked nice and it taught me how to properly do it...from the sidelines mind you. Love you mom! Kisses!!

Where was I, yes lighting a tree. You don't lasso the tree with lights, you wrap it with lights. You take a string and you slowly wind it up and down each branch. Then you put on the next layer of branches and repeat until done.


Confession.
I hate this part of doing the tree. It is tedious and long, especially when 4 strands of lights die on you and you have to make a Target run. Every year I curse this tree because I wanted a pre-lit tree, but someone, who shall remain nameless told me that wasn't a good idea, the lights will die and you won't be able to replace them...oh well. Here I am stringing lights.
So why don't I just lasso them, because that would look horrible. And Monica Gellar the original, always always taught us to do things right and well. Hi mom!
This way makes your lights twinkle. It makes your tree look beautiful and magical. And that gosh darn it, this is what Christmas is about. ;)

Back to decking the halls.
Lo putting on the star.
See I am a lesser version of Monica as I do let little people help me. Yes, I use to move the ornaments, but I just don't care any more.
Confession.
I do care. I do move some.
AND my nice decorative ornaments are put on by me in very special locations. period.
The rest however the kids can go nuts on.

This kid. This is photo face. One day I should pull out all the pictures from this year where he is doing that. It is a lot! Anytime he sees the camera pointed in his direction this is his go to face. Take that duck face, I am doin' the Miley face. He was doing it LONG before she made it cool. I can promise you that.





My favorite thing.
Lying under the tree.

AFTER Thanksgiving had come and gone, I pulled out the rest of the decor.
We read the Nativity story, on the iPad, what else?! ;)
And put up our scene.
I feel like I look less intense than last year about this...what do you think? No.
Well, this is my most prized non-living possession.  I love this Nativity and if I had a spot I would leave it out year round. So yes, I am protective of it...in my defense. ;)



The finished tree.
When my parents moved they found our old train we use to put with our tree growing up. So she passed it on to us. It is mostly for looks as it is old and doesn't work great. But for one night Daddy made one little girl's dreams come true. Daddy hero!
Our stockings.
Funny story.
So my mom makes our stockings. Well Chad's, Lo's and MW's.
Mine was made by another family member eons ago. Let's just say compared to the ones Monica did, not the best. Plus it has my middle name on it. Long story.
Today Lo says:
"Mommy, you should have Grammy make you a new stocking; because your's isn't so nice, plus your name is mommy now."
BAHAHA.
"Mommy, but Grammy will probably have to wait until next year because she is working on baby Gannon's."
Oh baby girl you have no idea how spot on  you are. She is her Grammy's girl.
My grandpa and grandma made me these Christmas Angels one year. Another prized possession. These are the things that mean the most, not the sweaters or iPod touches. ;)
Ah, Baby Jesus' manger.
My friend Ginger posted last Christmas about this on FB. The kids earn hay for displaying a servants heart and Christ-like attitudes. The goal is to earn enough hay to fill the manger so on Christmas Eve baby Jesus comes. In the morning before the Santa/present hoopla begins we gather round and sing happy birthday Jesus.
On Christmas Eve I added that we all write out gifts {attributes we want to work on to grow in our walk with Jesus} to give Jesus and lay those in the manger. We all did very well last year. I had forgotten in some ways what I wrote, but when I pulled them out this year we were all surprised to see we succeeded for the most part.


Last year was our first year to do it and it went very well.  The kids are already very into it again this year. And hope they get enough hay for baby Jesus. Lo wants it to be warm and soft for Him.
{Christmas 2012}

My cool magnetic advent calendar. The kids love doing this each morning.


Lo's pink tree that she finally got to decorate all by herself. :)

My buffet table. I switched out the chalkboard quote. I am going to love doing that for different seasons and events!
The tree will now turn into our Jesse Tree. Which we are a little behind on, but we will get there.
And that is our home for Christmas. I have tons of stuff. But any more I only get out what I LOVE and is precious to me. For multiple reasons, but I love the simplicity of it.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. This post was so funny!!! When I first got married we got a prelit tree thinking how great and easy it would be. Not even 2 years later one section of lights went out and we had to decide if we get a new one or buy a strand of lights for that one section. We are cheap and decided to get one strand of lights....so unfortunately your anonymous person was right. And you would be doing lights anyway. Your house looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...