Pages

31 December 2013

End of the Year Thoughts

I really had all these profound thoughts in my head that I wanted to share for my end of the year post.
To bad I can't remember any of them...your loss really. ;)

Some things I want to remember about this year:
We had record snow fall in February. We referred to it lovingly as The Great Blizzard of Oz. I haven't seen that much snow perhaps ever. Of course we spent most of the snow days inside since both kids got the flu. I did really enjoy all the snuggling despite their yuckies.





Getting to lead worship and be part of our Celebrate Recovery ministry.

I took on P365 this year and succeeded...mostly. I didn't capture a picture every single day, but I did capture our lives in the day to day. I am just a few weeks {5 behind in immortalizing in digi scrap fashion.}

April 28th, 2013 my baby girl asked Jesus into her heart. This was a day we prayed for and we couldn't be more thrilled for her to reach this milestone. This means more to me and her dad than walking and talking milestones.

 Not only did we have record snow totals, but this was the year for close tornado calls for our town. Way too close.

Leighton's first "school" experience at VBS. Oh my, this was just a dress rehearsal for next year when I drop her off daily for Kindergarten. 

Then of course my parent's moving closer; which has been so nice. The moving part we would all like to forget though.

Our road trip to Iowa.


Our mini "vacay" to Table Rock Lake. Where Lo learned to water ski.



Leighton learning to ride her bike sans training wheels!!


Getting a job as a gymnastic coach for the Y! {Dream job}

Resigning from my RD consulting job.

My sis and I completing our first 5k! Here's to more this spring! {right MEG!!!}

Watching my baby sister graduate COLLEGE!


And some things I would love to forget like making the excruciating decision to put my beloved dog Toby down.
Pt1
Pt2


And then bringing Thatcher Beau Jangles into our home. Man has having a puppy been a crazy ride. But life with out Thatchy would be boring, and my stuff wouldn't have bite marks on it--but we wouldn't trade him for the world.




The end of the year always brings people back to reflection.
Reflection on things they want to change and improve on.
I find the idea of resolutions daunting. It always seems like an impossible mountain to climb. I need goals that are small and tangible.
This past year had some rough patches for me. I have been battling hormonal, crazy, depressive mood swings for far to long. I thought I was always stronger than the moods and could control them on my own. This year I lost that battle when I went in to my doc for a routine check-up on something or other and broke down into uncontrollable tears. My doc has known for 3 years I needed help, but never pushed me, just gently nudged and prodded. This time he intervened. I got meds. Let me say it again because it is liberating. I.got.meds. What was I so afraid of...oh yeah, judgement, realization that I was a failure at controlling my life and emotions, but man once they kicked in I realized for the first time in I don't know how long my mind was clear. And all my fears didn't matter.

I tell you all that not as a commercial for meds, but because with a clear mind I was able to make real change in my life. I was able to freely offer grace to others when they hurt me vs. lashing out. I was able to speak softer to my kids vs. shouting commands. I was able to see and appreciate my life more. I could see that I desired my life and attitude to reflect that of  Christ and it comes easier {not always} when you don't feel like a raging hurricane inside.

That is what I want to expound upon this year WITH my family. Together I want us all to work towards improving our relationships with one another and with Christ. I want to keep offering grace and forgiveness even when it is hard and when I feel like I don't get the same sentiment in return. My reward is not here on Earth, but in Heaven.

And I want my family to learn to work together as a team to keep this house running. {Isn't that kind of me to make a resolution for my family. ;) }. I am learning to accept the personalities of each person in this family and willing to meet them where they are so we can all be happy. Mostly so mommy is happy because let's face it...if momma isn't happy, nobody's happy.

And of course it's always good to strive for...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...