Pages

17 November 2011

Weaning

Recently I have been full force into weaning Micah. Right before his surgery the doctors and I discussed his ever present need to be on formula in order to gain. While I realize his chronic, massive amounts of spit-up definitely contributed to his weight loss, I am fairly confident that my milk supply was not sufficient to meet his little body's needs. This also happened with Lo, only she didn't spit up and still lost. Clearly, something happens to my milk supply around the 7-9 month window and at that point "breast is no longer best."

However, I tried weaning but just couldn't fully get on board pre-surgery. Mostly, because I wanted to be able to offer him that comfort post-surgery and perhaps myself too. Once the surgery was over and we were home I went straight to bottles. My body seemed to adjust to no day-time nursing easily; which once again proves I had very little milk to offer.

Now, night time on the other hand is, well, a night-mare. He was nursing every 4 hours at night, thus keeping my supply up. Now we are down to waking just twice in the night at 10p and 3a. Last week I cut out the before bed nursing and this week I am cutting out the 10p nursing. But I am still hurting. I read somewhere to take sudafed D to help dry you up. Can't tell if it is helping. However, last night when I was researching it I learned that eating oatmeal boost your supply. Guess what this girl has been enjoying for breakfast lately? Yep. Oatmeal. Awesome.

Of course on top of all of that as much as I "dislike" nursing at this point, it is still so hard to break that personal bond you have with your baby. How do you say good-bye to that, especially when you know that this is the last baby you will nurse, and rock to sleep. I hate the newborn phase but it doesn't mean I don't recognize that I am saying good-bye to a lot of those sweet baby moments. Thanks hormones for making this extra difficult. I don't know how to mark a date on a calendar and say this is it, so the other day at 2a when he was still and peaceful, I rocked him extra long and said my good-byes to nursing.

I am hoping in the next couple of weeks he will be fully weaned. Thankfully, I am going through this with another bloggy friend. We actually "bonded" over weaning our daughters, went through our second pregnancies together {via the web} and now are encouraging each other through weaning pt 2. It helps to have someone know exactly how you are feeling in the moment.

Finally, you are probably wondering why I am posting about this. 1. Just for my memory. and 2. You would be surprised how many people ask me about this and the way my memory works right now I wouldn't know what to tell them. Sadly, I don't even remember how this went with Lo. Did it hurt this bad? No idea. How long did it take before I was done? No idea. I don't even remember the last time we nurse. How sad is that? Sad.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh...talk about hormones! Here I am reading your post and crying, because I'm not weaning, and I'm not even close to it, but I also know that this time will be my last. It will be my last baby to get up with in the middle of the night, my last baby to nurse, my last baby to rock and hold and love, and I feel like with a toddler...it's SO hard to cherish those moments and just take them in. I'm going to miss it so much! And it's too late for me to change my mind and try for a third! :( Anyways, I will be reaching out to you when I start to wean William! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...