Pages

23 April 2014

Throwback Cartoons

My kids love cartoons as much as the next kid. We don't have cable or cartoon network or anything, but we find some jewels on Netflix. Such as the lovable and hug-able care bears.
Here's the thing about these cartoons; the ones from yester-year at first glance seem sort of dark and "violent" compared to their new and improved?! versions for today's kid.



I will say this is MY favorite series of Care Bears! Grumpy Bear is HILARIOUS!


At first I couldn't believe my parents let me watch such shows, but upon further thoughtful contemplation I realize that I have been re-programmed to see the cartoons from my childhood as "evil" and "bad." Who wouldn't compared to today's lesson filled, everyone wins, unicorn pooping sprinkles and marshmallows all over the place episodes. I like the "lessons" learned in the yester-year cartoons they deal in more real world scenarios---wait for it GASP!! NOT EVERYONE WINS! {and you will NOT believe this...the "loser" learns life goes on and it is okay---their world did not collapse.} WHOA! Today's kids are not taught such life lessons. Sad.

So now instead of viewing the Throwback cartoons as scary and evil, I see them as valuable ways to talk to my kids about life. In fairness I still like some of the new versions and their happy go-lucky attitudes, but overall that usually isn't how the real world works.


I even found daddy's old pound puppy "cooler" to watch with.

Today's spin on an old classic.



What are your favorite cartoons from your childhood?! I can still sing most of the songs!

1 comment:

  1. How about Tom & Jerry; Bugs Bunny; Mighty Mouse; Flinstones, and all those Hana-Barbara cartoons. Talk about sadistic...but oh so funny !
    Happy memories, and no serial killers made.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...