Pages

18 June 2010

Show Us Your Life: Proposal Story

It's time for another rousing edition of Show Us Your Life over at Kelly's Korner. This week's topic: Proposal Story (in case it was less than obvious from the title ;) ).

I wish I was this really great eloquent writer, like so many ladies I follow, but alas I am not so here is the short and sweet of our "Story."

It is weird when you know you are dating "the one." The one you know is your best friend, partner, cheerleader, confidant, and the man you are going to spend forever loving and growing old with. It didn't take us long perhaps a few months to "know" that we wanted to be married someday. We talked about it. A lot.

The time had finally come that Chad was ready to propose. Evidently, over Christmas 2002, he and his mother were scouting out rings. One evening he even took me to the jewelry store to try on rings, but really he was sneakily getting my ring size. Clever boy. I in typical Michele fashion was oblivious to what was happening. Perhaps I just didn't want to read too much into it...yes, that's it. :)


Chad's plan was to propose over Christmas. He wanted to tie the ring around Geoffrey the Giraffe's neck (because if you haven't figured it out by now I heart giraffe's and Geoffrey is my favorite. :) and then do the whole "will you marry me?" routine. However, his plans were thwarted when my dad got me the exact same Geoffrey as a fun Christmas present. Needless, to say he was bummed and out of ideas.

Fast forward to Jan 10th, 2003. We are out hanging out having our usual date day. Except today he keeps asking me if he can give me a present? I am someone who loves to wait to open presents it just saves up all the fun, once they are opened all the fun is over. So I kept saying later, later. That evening we went to see the movie Just Married with Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy. The movie was great, but you have seen it, it made Chad a little nervous for what was to come later in the evening. After our movie we went to Picadilly, talked and reminisced about our relationship.

See the tall bottle...that was my present.

Finally, we headed back to his house so I could open my present finally. I should have known something was up when his loud beagle was missing. When I opened the present it was a message in a bottle that said:

What a joy to know love
Like the love I share today
What a feeling to be blessed
Since the day you looked my way

So I say with these words
I will pledge my love to you
And swear with my heart
That all my love is true

With the warmth of my arm
I will hold you at my side
To propose those precious words
Will you be my loving bride?

As I was reading this poem, Chad got down on one knee with the ring. It took me a moment to completely understand what was going on. I was in complete shock.
The best shot of the "ring" I could find

And of course, I said YES!
We have been happily married for 6.5 years! Just one of many chapters in "The Story of Us."

2 comments:

  1. Mom/MIL/ring shopperJune 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

    Great blog, Chele, as always. I can't resist adding what I thought was the best part (besides the fact that you are THE BEST!). Chad told me that you said YES and gave him a hug before you even looked at the ring! You're my kind of girl! So happy that you and Chad are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through Kelly's Korner and wanted to say hi! I think that message in a bottle is a great idea, and it looks like it turned into a great keepsake

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...