Pages

13 October 2010

The Potty Training Diaries {the things I learned}

Things I have come to realize during potty training. {in no particular order}

1. Your child can no longer be in onesies. This quickly diminshed our wardrobe. Thankfully, we are entering fall and she gets a "new" one anyway. Also, I am grateful to my mom who turned some of her onesies into shirts! Which she is doing a lot of because 1.Generally speaking they start making t-shirts at around 2T and 2. I have a small child who will not be anywhere near that size until she is probably 3!

2. Hide the toilet paper. :) Lo loves nothing more than to just pull it all out and if I am not watching put it all in the potty!

3. I have never needed more patience then when I began this process. Recognizing the little steps and celebrating those are all your focus can be on, not the bigger picture.

4. If people tell you they potty trained their child in one day or that is all it takes that is a lie. While I believe it only takes the one day for it to "click," it still takes several weeks of practice to get it completely right. Just remember how long it took them to get walking really well down.

5. That daycare settings can really set you back, especially if your child doesn't talk much. When Lo started leaving the Church nursery, the Y kid zone, Moppets dry I knew we had reached a milestone. Mostly, because she does not tell the workers she needs to go and they don't "pay attention" to her signs. I mean that in a nice way, they have lots of kids to look after and I understand how a 1.5 year is out of the norm to think about taking potty.

6. There are phases of potty training you go through. At first you beat your head against the wall "teaching" them what to do. It feels as if they will never master it. Then they do.

Then you reach a phase where they learn you jump a mile high when they say they need to "go." Even if they don't, they are just trying to get out of the doctor's office, or nap time. Stinker.

Then you go through a phase where they need to check out every bathroom of every establishment you frequent. Awesome. It isn't like it is cold and flu season or anything!

Then you reach the phase where you trust your child and don't have to constantly hound them about going potty!

But then come regression. Expect it, it will make you beat your head against the wall less.

7. Plan on potty training to be a marathon, not a sprint. One day they will get there!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've got to show this post to my daughter. She has just started introducing potty training to her little 2 year old son. He really is doing quite well, but still a l-o-n-g ways away from "being there."

    What a cute, cute post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...