Pages

01 September 2010

The Potty Training Diaries {Monday-Wednesday}

Dear Diary,

Monday, Aug 30th 2010
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Why o' why is this so hard?! I wish I had a magic wand and could magically transform Leighton into a potty trained pro. I think, I would even give up my long-time held desire to orb, if this tiny little wish could be granted.

Saturday she was doing so good and it really seemed like she was "getting it", but of course it was all new again to her, so she was an eager beaver. Now, two days later she could care less and gets quite annoyed. My new goal is teaching her the difference between wet and dry, so we are playing lots of "games" that talk about wet and dry. When I congratulate her on "dry panties" she gets excited, but then she starts applauding herself when she pees in her panties. Verdict: she doesn't get why I am excited about dry panties vs. wet.
::insert heavy sigh::

We have had 2 successful potties this AM. They are small victories and I am trying to focus on that. This is just so beyond frustrating for me. I have so little patience, so really this is probably more a lesson for me than her.

Right now I am just trying to figure out how to unlock her currency, find what motivates her...candy doesn't seem to work, and I think she is too young to understand a reward system, so I am out of ideas right now.
::Repeat: "we will get this, we will get this, we will get this."::

Tuesday, Aug 31st, 2010

Today has been a much better day. And to think I was going to just throw in the towel! Yesterday was such a debacle and I was starting to feel like she just wasn't going to ever "get it" (well at least anytime soon). However, my cousin, who has been potty training her son this past week too, encouraged me. Encouragement for both you and your toddler is key to success. This is as much work (if not more-so) for you as it is for them. So fellow mommies out there attempting this whether it be today or 6 months from now, if you need a pep talk I will give you one!

Anyway, I decided to try the timer method this morning. It sort of works like Pavlov's dogs. When the timer goes off in 20 minutes you sit on the potty and go, or at least attempt to go {you then gradually increase the time daily}. By the 4th time the timer went off, she was "terrified." She hugged me tight like I was going to torture her to sit on the potty...it was weird. I think it just freaked her out that a beep beep noise told her she had to go. Out the window that idea went. Now what?!

I then decided to just let go and remind her every so often about the potty and encouraged her to sit every so often. I looked for signs that she had to go. She would then start to go on the floor and I would yell "STOP your potty," which she did...this is a huge sign of motor control. Then she would finish on the potty and I would dance around like an idiot praising her.

Finally, she started to recognize the signs and go on her own to the potty, sit down and go! We have turned the corner. As predicted all along, my stubborn as a mule daughter would decide when she was ready and when she decides something she is all over it. That is why I think I just finally stopped "forcing" her. Once she knew I had honestly let go of the control {you can't fake her out}, she took charge!

We are far from perfect and tomorrow, shoot even this PM may be a different story, but this was super encouraging to me today to keep this momentum going...she will get it. Maybe not in a day or 3 days, but surely in a month to 6 weeks I can confidently come back here and say "WE ARE POTTY TRAINED!"

Wed. Sept. 1st, 2010
I have one word: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today has just been another incredible day. I feel so stupid for being, so overly excited about her being potty trained. You have never seen someone so happy to see poo-poo and tinkle in the potty! We have had ZERO accidents this morning. She actually tinkled a tiny bit in her panties while sitting in my lap and then jumped up, stopped her potty and went to the potty chair! Other than that we have a perfect record so far, even two, well, number twos... I am just so proud of my girl. I can't believe we started this on Saturday day and 3/4 days later we are starting to get the hang of it.
Now, while this is huge progress and success, we still have miles to go. We haven't ventured more than 5-10 feet from the potty chair in 4 days. I still put her in a diaper for lunch since it is right before nap and she will pee in it and say nothing about it. She doesn't seem to care (and never has for that matter) how wet or dirty her diaper is. Until that begins happening we still have some work to do. Not to mention venturing out and staying dry while sleeping. I know we will get there, but for now I am extremely happy!


Biggest take home message: Each child is different. You have to learn to pick your battles and potty training isn't one of them. Let them decide to do it. I don't think it means you can't try and keep trying once you are ready to train, but stay positive, most toddlers are all about control! :) There are a zillion different methods and opinions out there, just keep trying them until you find the key that unlocks your toddler and gets you success! Good luck!

I will probably have plenty more to add about our journey, until I can officially say we are 100% potty trained and ready to take on the world sans diaper!

And again I am no expert by even a modest definition, but if you have questions for me about what I did/doing I will gladly answer them or give you my best "advice/opinion."

1 comment:

  1. Well, my goodness, I think she is doing absolutely amazing to not even be two years old! I didn't even know anyone potty trained before the 2nd birthday but then again, my baby is 31 years old. :o) I do know that both of mine were easy as pie to train and they were over two and less than 2 1/2. All the best in this endeavor, I know it must takes tons of patience. My Grandson will be 2 in Oct. and his Mommy (our daughter) has started introducing the potty to him, so guess it's about to start here too. Happy week-end!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...