Pages

24 January 2011

It's A Baby Story {Part 2}

So where were we? {to see Part 1 click HERE}

On the way to the hospital. Chad has this little sports type car that seriously could put any one into labor they way you bounce around in there. So the journey to the hospital was less than pleasant. Definitely helped my contractions pick up that is for sure!

Once we arrive we went up to the Peri-natal Unit (PSU) and got gowned up and checked back in. I was a tad annoyed that I had to re-answer all the same questions I was just asked on Friday night, I was like can't you just pull that info, I am dying here and can barely talk! I digress.

The RN asked if my water had broke. I said I was unsure, I felt like I was leaking, but I knew it hadn't truly "broke." So she ran an amnio test on me. Negative.

This RN was so nice and compassionate about everything. It was much slower up there on Sunday, which probably helped everyone's attitudes. Anyway, after about 15 minutes on the fetal heart and contraction monitor; in walks a (pregnant) KSU-alum Resident. Score! I knew she would be awesome. :) She checked me I told her about my ordeal on Friday, she and the RN thought they were crazy on Friday and in not so many words...wrong. Again I digress.

I was a 4 and 100% effaced with my bag bulging, she couldn't even tell if he was head down.
Now normally if you are not pre-term you would be admitted at this point, but lucky me I am pre-term, therefore, I get to wait one hour to see if I had progressed any. I was praying hard! The resident was confident I would be staying, but you never know. She say my contraction pattern was less than impressive, which I agreed. With Lo I was contracting hard every 45 sec, and with Micah, as I said before, I would get going every 2-3 minutes with off the chart contractions that made me want to die and then it would slow to every 10 minutes with contractions that would rate a 4 on a pain scale. I just didn't get it. But an hour elapsed and at 1145a the resident said I was a 5 and I could be admitted.

I could tell she was possibly fudging it a bit, but I appreciate not being treated like I should be following the textbook labor and like a real person. She knew sending me home wasn't a good idea. They teach 'em right up there at Kansas State. ;) {Yes, she went to KU for Med school, but that is besides the point.}

After filling out more paper work, consenting to my epidural and being poke FOUR times like a pin cushion to get my IV in, we were on our way to L&D! I was just so thrilled. I started bawling. 1. because I was hurting from all their needles sticks and contractions and 2. because this was all finally happening. They believed me and I was in labor and going to meet my son very soon!

It was also really nice that I could "enjoy" my labor. With Lo everything happened so fast, I "enjoyed" nothing. I had her in 6 hours from the moment I walked through the PSU doors to the moment she debut. This one seemed to be moving a bit slower--in the end he came faster in 5 hours, but now I am ahead of myself.

I got in my room, I got my epidural and really I didn't feel like I really needed it yet, but since I was at a 5 and 100% with a bulging bag, I figured why not, it won't slow me down that much at this point.

However, according to Chad 5 minutes after my epi went "live" my contraction monitor went off the charts with contractions and I was like "what? I am having a contraction?" HA! With Lo I could still feel pressure, which I do prefer, especially when it comes time to push. But it was nice to finally have a break from all my contractions. I think 10+ weeks of on and off again labor call for an early epidural. My body was tired.

Here I am after my epi went "live!" It is such a weird, yet euphoric feeling. :)

Anyway, I made Chad go down and get something to eat and watched the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. I found this so fun, because again with Lo there was no time to turn on the TV. Chad comes back and finishes up his lunch.

It is now 2p. I start feeling this ballooning pressure down in my pelvis and thighs. I honestly felt like that girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that swells up like a blueberry. I paged my RN and she thought I was weird, but was going to call the KSU resident. At that same moment in walks the doc on call that would be delivering me, Dr. Bammel. He comes in to introduce himself and check on where things were. He couldn't even check me because my bag of waters was bulging so much. He popped my waters at 205p. Micah drops way down to a +2 and Dr. B says "Whoa! You are ready to go right now!" My RN starts "freaking out" because she wasn't not prepared for that at all. I suppose I should have told her I go fast, but it is in the chart. Oh well.

So they yank the bed apart barely get everything in place and by 215p I am pushing. It was so weird this time because all I could feel were my Dumbo legs. I couldn't tell when to push or if I even was. But they all said I was doing good, and obviously I did something right because 15 minutes later he was out! It took me nearly and hour with Lo. Of course he was a bit smaller.

The official weight picture. 5# even.


I actually got to see him being pulled out, he was so purple (normal). Daddy cut the cord and they whisked him away to check on him. I could hear his little cry and I just started bawling, I couldn't believe he was here. The funny thing was that Lo was a 38 weeker and had an entire Neonate team in there to "catch" her (she was a meconium baby), and he had just one little nurse. Of course we were right next door to the NICU just in case.

My tiny little biscuit, I couldn't believe he was a blondie. Lo was very dark headed.
They are night and day different I tell ya.

Chad said he looked normal and everyone said he was healthy. Chad kept taking pictures and bringing me the camera. That is the worse thing they do to moms. Take their babies and make them wait to hold them, after all the work we do. Of course both my babies demanded immediate medical attention and I prefer their safety over my happiness.

Proud Daddy! He has his boy and now we are complete.

Finally, they brought him to me and I was in love. I never thought I wanted a boy, but it just feels so right and complete to have him here. He is so perfect and I get why people get so smitten with their boys.

No words, for the emotions washing over me the second he was placed in my arms.

I will again leave the story here. Up next meeting his BIG SISTER!


2 comments:

  1. You do such a great job telling your story!!
    He is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying!! What a love story!! Love the picture of you and him!! Awwww so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...